SUPER Charging Your Nutrition & Wiping OUT Anti-Food VILLAINS
Super-foods are natural, nutrient-dense compounds that contain high concentrations of essential nutrients with proven health benefits. They’re high in vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, and/or antioxidants…Just to name a few!
3-Nutrition HEROS to Include Daily
- CLEAN WATER (Low TDS: Total Dissolved Solids) – Clean water is more precious than gold, silver or diamonds. The more total dissolved solids in a water supply, the higher the number of chronic diseases in the population. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) found 316 different chemicals in tap water throughout the country. Birth control pills, hormone therapy medications, and a host of other contaminants get into our water supply. Bottled water can be almost as bad. The EWG found the top 10 brands contain 38 toxic pollutants (arsenic, fertilizers, heavy metals, industrial solvents and pharmaceutical drugs). It is vital that you find & drink clean water. Purified water has all solids and impurities taken out, while spring water has a wide range of purity levels depending on the rocks it passes over. TDS levels can range from 18 (great) to 247 (not so good). Dissolved solids can be chlorides, sodium, arsenic, cadmium, nitrates and metals. SO what to do??
- We need water for every single biochemical reaction in our bodies from keeping our heart & other organs functioning to burning fat and building muscle. We should be aiming for a minimum of ½ of body weight in ounces (i.e., 150 lb. person should drink a minimum of 75 oz. of pure water/daily and more if you are trying to lose body fat and/or are physically active)
- Water carries nutrients to our cells so it is important that it has low TDS. Invest in a filtration system for your faucet or at least a filtered water pitcher for your drinking water. A surprisingly affordable option for quality home filtration and purification is a countertop gravity powered unit called a Berkey Water Filtration System
- Use re-usable glass or stainless steel bottles to carry your drinking water. Plastics, even the non BPA types can leach toxic chemicals and other endocrine-disrupting phthalates causing serious long-term health issues.
- ORGANIC UNREFINED COCONUT OIL – For years coconut was shunned for containing saturated fat. But recent research is proving that certain types of saturated fat (organic & natural) are necessary for optimal health and vitality! I recommend using coconut oil for ALL high heat cooking and experiment with some new recipes to increase your intake of this wonderful fat in your daily diet. It is perfectly safe to ingest several Tbs of organic unrefined coconut oil/day.
- Contains healthy medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) that help increase fat oxidation in the body and assists with body fat weight loss
- Reduces triglycerides, phospholipids and LDL cholesterol levels
- Improves digestion; builds muscle
- Anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and anti-fungal
- Helps breakdown kidney stones & aids immune system
- Increases absorption of fat soluble vitamins and minerals like calcium and magnesium
- Raises metabolism and satisfies hunger longer
- Here is a link with even more of the wonderful benefits of this SUPER FAT
- Here is another great blog discussing the health effects of coconut
Here is a couple fun recipes that will satisfy a sweet tooth & increase your dose of MCT’s from coconut oil:
Three Ingredient Chocolate Bars- http://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/02/13/3-ingredient-chocolate-bars/
Coconut & Avocado Grasshopper Bars- http://raiasrecipes.com/2014/03/avocadograsshoppers.html
*I would recommend using local raw honey and raw organic cacao for these recipes to get the “biggest nutritional bang” for the calories
- ALGAE – Algae comes in green, blue-green or brown seaweed and is a complex super food. It is high in beta-carotene, vit D and gamma linoleic acid (GLA) as well as providing essential amino acids. One of the easiest ways to add algae to your diet is in powdered supplement form which may be added to smoothies or sprinkled on other foods or just taken in water or some other healthy beverage. My personal favorite products are by Body Ecology called Vitality Super Green and Super Spirulina Plus. I stock these products in the studio store or you can go directly to www.bodyecology.com
- Blue-green algae like Spirulina is high in B12 has anti-tumor properties, enhances vascular function, wound healing and immune function
- All types stimulate the immune system, increase white blood cells and promote healthy flora in the colon
- It is beneficial in treatment for infection, anemia, obesity, inflammation and toxicity
- Excellent at supporting a healthy digestive system and its high fiber content makes it an effective detox
- Studies suggest blue-green algae like Chlorella aids in detoxification of poly-chlorinated dibenzodioxins in humans and may help heal radiation exposure
- Green algae reduces cholesterol, prevents allergic reactions and is thought to counter the development of abnormal growths
- Brown algae is known for weight loss benefits as well as purifying the blood and acting as a natural detoxifier… Stay Tuned for Part Two Next Month (June) to Wipe out three of the Worst Food Villians hiding in our diets.